About Me

My photo
Simply put, I am a football fanatic. I'm well-informed on the game- its players, statistics, history, rules, etc. I love the sport and I enjoy sharing my point of view.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Commissioner Goodell sending a bad message to the players and public

"Breaking news: Baltimore Ravens' running back Ray Rice has been suspended for the first two games of the regular season," is what I read along the ticker at the bottom of the television screen on the NFL Network. Really, that's it? Just two games? NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's views on discipline are greatly distorted, in my opinion.

The message that the Commissioner is sending to the players, and to the public, is that smoking marijuana is a more serious crime than domestic violence. That's certainly the message I'm receiving, considering that Cleveland Browns' wide receiver Josh Gordon is facing a potential one-year suspension for using marijuana while Ray Rice, who was caught on camera physically assaulting his wife, has been suspended a mere two games.

In no way am I justifying Gordon's usage of marijuana, the fact remains that it's illegal and he knew that he would be punished by the league if caught using it, and he should be disciplined. But, how can marijuana usage call for severer consequences than domestic violence? Please, someone enlighten me as to where exactly the logic lies in Commissioner Goodell's reasoning, because I sure as hell can't see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment