About Me

My photo
Simply put, I am a football fanatic. I'm well-informed on the game- its players, statistics, history, rules, etc. I love the sport and I enjoy sharing my point of view.

Monday, February 10, 2014

NFL Draft Prospect Michael Sam comes out

Michael Sam -- a talented pass-rusher out of Missouri who I believe has the talent to be selected early in the second round of the NFL Draft -- told ESPN and The New York Times that he is gay, according to this article on NFL.com. For information on his decision and the responses it received, I suggest you click on the link I provided.

I for one applaud Sam's decision to come out. We live in a society that's becoming more accepting every single day. But still, the world of professional sports seems to have hit the "snooze" button. Last October, NBA veteran Jason Collins came out and he hasn't been on an NBA team since. It's quite the same considering that Collins is a veteran journeyman and Sam is a young, highly talented prospect. But the question looms, "Will this hurt his draft stock?" I don't think it will. Despite all the media attention that will follow Sam to whichever team drafts him, that team is going to draft him based on his ability. And he has plenty of it. He's not the next Lawrence Taylor, but he's a good player who can get to the quarterback -- an invaluable trait in today's NFL. The league is ready for an openly gay player and hopefully Sam can be the model by which other gay athletes live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment