About Me

My photo
Simply put, I am a football fanatic. I'm well-informed on the game- its players, statistics, history, rules, etc. I love the sport and I enjoy sharing my point of view.

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Super Bowl 50

I predict a Super Bowl repeat this season: New England Patriots vs Seattle Seahawks. The birds out west made a big splash when they acquired Jimmy Graham in a trade with the Saints, but overall this team looks relatively the same as it did a year ago. I have no idea when/if Kam Chancellor's holdout will end, but if he continues to stand his ground and the Seahawks start slow out of the gate -- nobody is going to mistake Dion Bailey for Kam Chancellor -- I wouldn't be surprised to see the two sides reach a new deal. The offensive line is still an area of concern, Justin Britt was moved to right guard after a poor rookie season as the starting right tackle. Drew Nowak will (attempt) to replace former All-Pro Max Unger, who was dealt to New Orleans in return for Graham, at center. The receiving corps still lacks top-level talent, but Graham and an elite ground game cover up that flaw. Their will be challengers -- Green Bay and Philadelphia, specifically -- who are going to make it interesting. Had Jordy Nelson not suffered a season-ending knee injury, I may have chosen the Packers to represent the NFC. Yet, here we are.

Last season's Super Bowl champions, the New England Patriots, are returning to the big stage in 2016. Their going to play a different style and win games differently than they did a season ago. No longer can Belichick rely on Darrelle Revis to shut down the opponent's best receiver -- though, I do believe Malcolm Butler is going to do a hell of a job replacing him. Their hopes for repeating rest in large part on the shoulders of the defense's front seven. This is as talented a group as Belichick has put together in years and they're going to have to produce, or offenses will pick the secondary apart. I expect Chandler Jones to have a monster year and free agent acquisition Jabaal Sheard will prove to be one of the biggest steals of free agency. Rob Ninkovich is going to be as reliable as always, while Jamie Collins and Dont'a Hightower should have breakout seasons. On offense, Brady will be without Brandon LaFell for at least the first six games, so Danny Amendola and Aaron Dobson will have to step up in his absence. I don't expect the offensive line to start as slow as they did last season. Opposing defenses are going to have fits defending this unit in the red zone, as the tandem of Rob Gronkowski (6'6", 265-pounds) and newcomer Scott Chandler (6'7", 260-pounds) provide two very tall tasks. I expect one team to threaten New England's chances at reaching the Super Bowl: the Baltimore Ravens. They almost spoiled it for the Pats last season, and I expect them to try again 2016.

Super Bowl 50: New England Patriots 30 Seattle Seahawks 28

No comments:

Post a Comment