About Me

My photo
Simply put, I am a football fanatic. I'm well-informed on the game- its players, statistics, history, rules, etc. I love the sport and I enjoy sharing my point of view.

Friday, May 16, 2014

Draft Report Card: AFC West

AFC West:

Denver Broncos- B
I loved the Bradley Roby selection, they needed a cornerback and they got one of the best in the draft. Where I think John Elway and John Fox went wrong was drafting Cody Latimer. The team signed Emmanuel Sanders in the offseason, adding a quality wide receiver to make up for the loss of Eric Decker, so wide receiver wasn't a glaring need, unlike middle linebacker. The team has no clear-cut starter at middle linebacker, yet again. I think they should have used their second round pick to draft either Wisconsin's Chris Borland or Louisville's Preston Brown, respectively. Latimer is talented but I don't expect him to make the kind of immediate impact a guy like Borland would have made for them.

Kansas City Chiefs- C-
Despite Tamba Hali and Justin Houston firmly entrenched as the starting outside linebackers I expect first round pick Dee Ford to contribute from the get-go. I find the club's decision not to draft at least one receiver mindboggling, considering Dwayne Bowe and Donnie Avery are not an impressive duo.

Oakland Raiders- B+
General Manager Reggie McKenzie is moving this team in the right direction. The team drafted Khalil Mack in the first round and I think he's immediately the team's starting right defensive end. Derek Carr was drafted to be their quarterback of the future and should provide some solid competition for veteran Matt Schaub. I think they should have addressed the safety position prior to the seventh round, considering Charles Woodson will be 38-yearls old in October, but that doesn't take away from how well the Raiders drafted this year.

San Diego Chargers- B-
The team's first two draft selections-- cornerback Jason Verrett and outside linebacker Jeremiah Attaochu-- were great picks. Two positions of need were met with very talented prospects. I was surprised that they didn't choose to double dip at cornerback, and that they didn't draft a wide receiver to complement Keenan Allen.

No comments:

Post a Comment