About Me

My photo
Simply put, I am a football fanatic. I'm well-informed on the game- its players, statistics, history, rules, etc. I love the sport and I enjoy sharing my point of view.

Thursday, June 5, 2014

49ers Extend Colin Kaepernick for Big Bucks

It was reported yesterday that the San Francisco 49ers and starting quarterback Colin Kaepernick agreed to a 6-year contract extension worth $126 million with $61 million guaranteed, which sets a new record for the most guaranteed money. That's an awfully large amount of money to give to a quarterback who's not even among the best in the league. Of course, that is merely my own personal opinion. I think the 49ers' front office is paying him based on his potential, which can be risky.

Kaepernick has tremendous athletic ability and a rocket-arm, but he hasn't taken the next step in his game. He even admitted in an interview on NFL Total Access that he needs to "improve on getting through progressions, making the right reads and doing it every play is something that can take me to the next level as a player." With the offseason acquisitions on offense -- adding veteran wide receiver Stevie Johnson, drafting wide receiver Bruce Ellington and running back Carlos Hyde -- there will be no excuses for the offense. Last year Kaepernick didn't have enough weapons, well that sure won't be the case this time around. He plays behind one of the best offensive lines in the league and now has a group of receivers and a stable of running backs made to wear defenses out. As long as Kaepernick doesn't get complacent and continues to maintain a good work ethic, there's reason to believe this will work out well for both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment