About Me

My photo
Simply put, I am a football fanatic. I'm well-informed on the game- its players, statistics, history, rules, etc. I love the sport and I enjoy sharing my point of view.

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Chiefs cut Pro Bowl cornerback Brandon Flowers

I was shocked when I came across an article on Bleacher Report that the Kansas City Chiefs cut one-time Pro Bowl selection Brandon Flowers. There had been plenty of speculation about Flowers' future with the club after coming off possibly the worst season of his career and earning a large annual salary. I figured he would have been traded, but teams must not have considered him to be worth the money he was due.

Sean Smith is a lock to start Week 1, leaving veterans Chris Owens and Ron parker, and youngsters Marcus Cooper and Philip Gaines to compete for the other starting cornerback spot. None of those guys have truly proven themselves, but the Chiefs' coaching staff must have a lot of confidence in them to release a player like Flowers.

Now that Flowers is a free agent, he's free to sign with any team. The teams that need the most help at cornerback are the Pittsburgh Steelers, Detroit Lions, New York Jets, Carolina Panthers, Tennessee Titans, Baltimore Ravens, Dallas Cowboys, and San Diego Chargers. The Jets seem like a good fit, as they could use a proven cornerback to compete for a starting job. Whichever team he signs with, I think it'll be on a one-year deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment