About Me

My photo
Simply put, I am a football fanatic. I'm well-informed on the game- its players, statistics, history, rules, etc. I love the sport and I enjoy sharing my point of view.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tag, you're it

Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker will play the 2012 season under the team's franchise tag which pays him a guaranteed $9.5 million. He's not complaining nor should he be. After coming off his best season in 2011 recording 122 receptions for 1,569 yards and nine touchdowns. Welker takes a lot of big hits, which I love about him, but when you add that to the fact that he's 31 years old entering his 9th season, he may not be around for as long as he or the Pats would like. I mean he really takes a beating on the football field and is as tough a player as they come. The Pats could tag him again next season or try to workout a 2 yr deal since he wanted a 3 yr deal this season. People say he's a product of the Patriots system but that's not entirely true. Yes, in this system Welker's skills are put to full use and he certainly excels, plus playing with Tom Brady never hurts. Still, I'm very confident that Welker would be a great receiver for any team in this league
After signing three wide receivers in free agency (Brandon Lloyd, Donte Stallworth, and Jabar Gaffney) his numbers won't be that of last year's but we all know he's going to be just as effective. .

No comments:

Post a Comment