About Me

My photo
Simply put, I am a football fanatic. I'm well-informed on the game- its players, statistics, history, rules, etc. I love the sport and I enjoy sharing my point of view.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Patriots won't use franchise tag on Welker

If the Patriots used the franchise tag on wide receiver Wes Welker this season, the 31 year old would have been guaranteed $11.5 million. Despite the stats he puts up on a yearly basis that's far too much dough and New England has said they won't tag him leaving tackle Sebastian Vollmer and cornerback Aqib Talib as the only tag-worthy recipients remaining.
I think Welker's done with the Patriots. I'd love for him to remain a Patriot but I just don't see both sides agreeing on a deal before the start of free agency on March 12. Once that day comes Welker's agent will be fielding plenty of offers from teams around the league. It's going to be an interesting free agency period this year, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment