About Me

My photo
Simply put, I am a football fanatic. I'm well-informed on the game- its players, statistics, history, rules, etc. I love the sport and I enjoy sharing my point of view.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Patriots' secondary banged up

The Patriots have a young and banged up secondary that has to step up. Tomorrow they play the St. Louis Rams overseas in London, England. Rams quarterback Sam Bradford's go-to-guy Danny Amendola is listed as questionable and unlikely to play. But the other receivers on this team: Chris Givens, Brandon Gibson, Steve Smith, and Lance Kendricks are no slouches themselves. A big part to why the Patriots' secondary is struggling is the absence of starting safeties Pat Chung and Steve Gregory, both of whom will not be playing tomorrow. The loss of those two guys is hurting this defense. Rookie Tavon Wilson is starting for Chung and Devin McCourty has moved from corner back to free safety. Which leaves Kyle Arrington and rookie Alfonzo Dennard as the starting corners. After Ras-I Dowling was put on injured reserve yesterday, his second consecutive injury shortened season, I see the Pats lack depth in defensive backs. Behind the four starters I listed above are Sterling Moore, Marquice Cole, and Nate Ebner. I like the way Sterling Moore plays but Cole is a special teams guy and Ebner is not good enough to be on defense yet. With his rugby background and lack of playing time at Ohio State he should be cover kicks not playing with the starting defense. The Pats are on their bye week after tomorrow's game and I expect any banged up players to be ready to go in week ten.
As ugly as the Pats secondary is playing, the defense is forcing turnovers and Belichick is still the coach so I think the defense is going to get better as the season goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment