About Me

My photo
Simply put, I am a football fanatic. I'm well-informed on the game- its players, statistics, history, rules, etc. I love the sport and I enjoy sharing my point of view.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The NFL is back! In more ways than one

The first preseason game of 2013 took place two days ago, marking the return of the NFL. But, one story marks the return of a different NFL; the No Fun League. According to Pro Football Talk's Michael Smith, officials in Panthers and Vikings training camps have warned players that they'll be penalized if they taunt opponents by spinning the ball. This is not a new rule: The 2012 official playing rules listed examples of prohibited acts that will result in unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, saying, “These acts include but are not limited to: sack dances; home run swing; incredible hulk; spiking the ball; throwing or shoving the ball; pointing; pointing the ball; verbal taunting; military salute; standing over an opponent (prolonged and with provocation; or dancing).”

In my opinion, if a player scores a touchdown and spins the ball on the ground once they've reached the end zone, that shouldn't be considered taunting. Now, let's say a receiver makes a great catch over the back of a helpless defender and then gets in the face of that defender and throws the ball at him, it would be fair to penalize that player for taunting/unsportsmanlike conduct. I agreed with the rules that got rid of the excessive celebrations for which the likes of Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, and Steve Smith became famous or infamous (depending on your view on celebrations). But, penalizing players for spiking the ball, giving a military salute or a home run swing? That's just plain silly. We're talking about grown men who play a game for a living, there should be fun involved when they're on the field. While we all love that the National Football League is back in full swing, I -at the very least- roll my eyes and shake my head at the return of the No Fun League.

No comments:

Post a Comment