About Me

My photo
Simply put, I am a football fanatic. I'm well-informed on the game- its players, statistics, history, rules, etc. I love the sport and I enjoy sharing my point of view.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Six Things We Learned from Week 2

We're already in the third week of the regular season. Considering there's still 14 regular season games left to be played, it's wise not to overreact -- as nearly all sports writers tend to do -- to what takes place over the first two games. Here's six things we learned from Week 2.

1. Considering that the AFC isn't particularly strong this year, it's safe to say the Denver Broncos are the best team in the conference thus far. They're 2-0 and lead the league in points scored (90). But, I don't expect this offense to be able to score at this pace for the entire season, meaning the defense is going to have to show up eventually.
2. The Saints are back! With head coach Sean Payton back on the sidelines, the Saints are back to being the best team in their division. The hiring of defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is paying off -- slowly, I might add. The defense is still far from good, but they're more aggressive and should improve as the season goes on.
3. The Seattle Seahawks may go 8-0 at home for the second straight season. Watching the game Sunday night I couldn't believe how loud the fans were. They take pride in their role as the "12th Man" and cause fits for opposing offenses. They host the Jaguars, Titans, Buccaneers, Vikings, Saints, Cardinals, and Rams. I don't see a scenario in which any of those teams come into CenturyLink Field and leave with a win.
4. The Pittsburgh Steelers are in for a very, very rough season. Pittsburgh has been one of the league's most consistent ball clubs for a long time. But, not anymore. They're old on defense and their offense lacks the fire power necessary to put up 24+ points consistently. The Steelers will miss the playoffs this year, marking the fourth time in the Big Ben era that they've failed to reach the postseason.
5. The New England Patriots passing game is a work in progress. The injury to Danny Amendola is a big loss but this team has talent at wide receiver. However, the possible return of tight end Rob Gronkowski this Sunday is a huge lift for the offense. Obviously he provides great blocking, sure hands, a matchup nightmare for defenses, and a big red zone threat but more importantly, he and Tom Brady will be on the same page.
6. The Kansas City Chiefs are for real? This might not count as something we've -- or I've -- learned considering it's in the form of a question. The Chiefs are 2-0 and appear bound to have a major turnaround after going 2-14 in 2012. I'm not sure that I'm ready to buy into their 2-0 record, but I think I'll be buying in pretty soon.

Did I fail to mention anything? If there's something you feel should be on this list, post a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment